Introductions

Garrett Ellis plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 13:14:51 -0000

Debian 2.2r3's installer runs very smoothly. All that's required of the
user is to read what's on the screen before pressing enter a zillion times
like your everyday impatient Windows user. And if someone isn't willing and
understanding that they will be learning a brand new system when they first
switch to linux, then that person should think twice about what they're
doing and just stick with their Windows install.

I think the best way to say it is, "Debian is not for beginners who are
expecting Linux to be just like Windows". It could truthfully be said that
if someone wants to learn Linux to be an effective sysadmin/technician,
they should start with Debian. Debian makes you do a lot of things manually
and as a result, you learn more about how the system works without having
it wrapped up in pretty conf scripts. The *configurator scripts are there
for the people that don't know what they are doing (nothing wrong with
ignorance), and the sysadmin is there for when those scripts fail to do
their job. "Oh no! Xconfigurator doesn't work! Whatever shall I do?
Wherever shall I go?" If you want to be one of the people that fixes that
and does it well, I believe you should start with Debian.

If you want to have Linux just for playing around or maybe write a bit of
code, or just so you can tell your friends how much of a hax0r you are
because you discovered the NETCONF and set up your linux box without any
help from anyone, then you should use Mandrake or RedHat. Those
distributions seem targeted for (and created by.. <g>) those who really
don't know too much about Linux and have little to no desire to learn.

Other than that, and my continuing praise for Debian's speed, reliability,
and consistency across distributions, I will cease contributing to the
distribution argument.