Introductions

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 10:38:48 -0700

You must have used the Hamm installer or something even older.  You probably
got tossed into Dselect as well.  The recent installer (potato) is a far cry
from intuitive but it's simple enough.  The new installer going in to Woody
(testing/3.0) is much better, and the installer in development in Sid
(unstable) is quite nice, it includes a GUI and all the niceties that
mandrake has brought to the table in the install.  I also thought Caldera's
installer was very nice. (Gotta love playing pacman while installing..
haha).

Don't get me wrong, I learned the most about Linux by fighting with the
idiocies in RedHat 4.0-6.1, 6.2 finally worked as intended but RPM is just a
pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned.  I really do recommend anyone who
is going to learn Linux to try ALL the distributions.  And it's always a
good idea to learn about the market leader (redhat/mandrake).  But if you
have to upkeep/admin/clean-up/update an OS, Debian will make your headaches
FAR less.  And I love Debian for my desktop, since I can try out whatever I
want from APT and remove it straight-away without worrying about
dependencies or duplicate packages.  And I've _NEVER_ had to rebuild my dpkg
database.  I found that I was doing that at least every month or two on my
redhat boxes because of corrupted files, or poorly made packages...  blech!

As far as the technical differences or benefits versus loss between RPM/DEB
I would love for someone to actually enlighten me as to why RPM is superior.
I have constantly heard this, but I have never heard a good reason why.

* Blake