Introductions

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 23:31:38 -0700

------
I'm a RedHat fan but that's what I learned first. It makes sense to me.
Everytime I have sat down with SUSE 7.2, I am struggling to find where they
put things, I can't believe that they have included every module under the
sun in /etc/modules.conf and I cringe looking at Yast2. At least with OSX,
there is so little open source stuff included that each new piece that I end
up getting installed is a thrill.

Regardless of whichever distro you use - eschew / shun / stay away from the
GUI as much as you can. It will slow the learning process. As much fun as it
is to sit back and click, the education will come from the console not from
clicking. If you know how to work Windows NT/2K from the command line and
I'm not talking about xcopy...then you understand the power of the command
line.

and Mr Windows security dude - nmap is your friend.

Craig