With *BSD and Re: 'Ports' for all

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 16:33:08 -0700

Derek Neighbors wrote:

> > > Personally, I would rather keep the BSD stuff here on PLUG - there are so
> > > many BSD lists anyway.
> >
> > Same here. It's not in the name because PBLUG would sound like some sort of
> > peanut butter appreciation society :).
>
> While I think *BSD is a good operating system.  I will say that I would
> prefer to see this a separate group.  That or change the name of plug to
> something that encompasses OpenSource opposed to Linux.
>
> Normally Im not prone to saying split lists up etc, but I would say it
> would be a disservice if it goes from an occassional post onthe list, to
> more frequent posting on the list to where the events are actually about
> *BSD instead of Linux.

---------
Well - my guess is that a lot of us are 'multi-nix' and as I said, there
seems to be no lack of BSD mail lists anyway. If the drawing card is
that this is more about linux than about Phoenix, then yes, the lists
will probably be split. Realize that the Debian specific information is
of little interest to Redhat, Mandrake or Caldera users and given
Caldera's new licensing - it's looking more like BSD than linux.

Craig