internet terrorism (A preview of whats to come if windows XP makes it to the home market)

Technomage plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 14 Jul 2001 01:37:26 -0700

well,
telnet is nothing new......
However, I know what ports backorigfice likes to hang out on and those
are the ports that mindspring should have been looking for. However,
given
recent changes to the TOS of a lot of ISP's, they won't allow you to
portscan
anyone, and yet they do it to their users.

I caught qwest.net doing this 4 days ago and called them on the carpet
about it... I reminded them that their terms of service operates both
ways.
if I am not allowed to portscan, etc., then neither are they....The
person
on the far end objected to this, and I requested a supervisor.

I finally got far enough up the chain that someone actually took me
seriously (they checked with their legal dept and it turns out that
the way the TOS was written, it prevents them forom also doing the
same things that they prohibit their users from doing). so, no more
portscans or unwanted connections from qwest.net....

However, on thursday afternoon at around 13:30, my circuit died for
no explainable reason. it took 4 hours and a lot of arguing with tech
support before I found ut 2 things: a board in the dslam died, and
someone made changes to my account without consulting me. because
of the account changes, the tech support was prevented from initiating
repairs. It took another round of calls before I got someone that
actually started looking at things and made a decision....

as of 15 minutes ago, my circuiot came back up live again (ITS ABOUT
DAMNED TIME).

is qwest really worth this agravation?
I am not so sure.

Technomage Hawke