Loggin in...

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:40:36 -0500 (CDT)

> > Linux is a revolution...don't forget that.
>
> No... Linux is an operating system kernel.  Open source is the
> revolution, and it's about 30 years in the making, and when it started,
> the methods for evangelizing it didn't include flaming customer service
> people, and being sure to let them know that the whole community feels
> the same way.

I would say GNU is the real revolution.  It started in 1985 and without it
Open Source wouldnt exist as we know it today and neither would Linux.
Before GNU things were more 'shared source' then in early eighties the
prop software model w/o any source started and thats when GNU was created
to combat it.

> There's plenty of logic passing through slashdot, it's too bad you have
> to filter through ten times as many "frist posts" and goatscx links to

Hmmm.. I kind of like the goat sex links...

> find it.  And I don't count Microsoft bashing as logic either.  Slashdot
> is not what it used to be, and I can't imagine anyone would have any
> arguments with that.

I was never too enthralled by the level of debate at Slashdot, once upon a
time thier news was decent, but even it seems days late or non relevant
more often than not. :(  (Mind you I have seen good slashdot posts, but
they have always been a small percentage, just now with more users they
are even harder to find)

-d