System Flakyness

Michael J. Astrauskas plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 06 Jul 2001 10:31:13 -0700

Kevin Brown wrote:

> OK, not totally linux related, but hoping someone might have some suggestions.
> I have an Athlon 650 running Win98SE (yeah I know, boo, hiss), but I use it for
> games and such that don't exist for linux (Everquest).  My system has been
> acting up (Blue Screen of Death, etc...) and since these behaviors seem to have
> become a common occurance (well more often than usual) in recent months I'm
> beginning to suspect hardware trouble.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a
> utility (windows, dos or linux) that could do things like test my systems memory
> for errors to see if that is the culprit.
>
> I suspect the memory more than an overheat because the errors only seem to occur
> when I'm playing EverQuest, and EQ needs far more memory than anything else I
> use on the system.  It currently has just 1 stick of PC133 128MB RAM.

It may not be a RAM issue (but certainly don't discount it). My brother
runs an Athlon 850 with 256 MB of RAM. Everquest periodically locks
up for him, often several times in a day. It locks up especially frequently
when he overclocks it, so I suspect that processor heat may be the
culprit.

--
 - Michael J. Astrauskas