Wheel mouse & Netscape

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 05 Jul 2001 16:03:06 -0700

"David A. Sinck" wrote:

> Ok, time for some deep magic then.  Reach into your archive (you did
> save that 'useless' message, right?) then cast:
>
> cat > ~/.Xdefaults
> [paste]
> ^D
>
> Then xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults.  I think that file will be autoscanned
> when X starts.  Your other option is to fin Netscape.ad and put that
> snippet into it in the appropriate place.
>
> \_ Nothing looking like something I can hang your little fix for functional
> \_ wheel on Netscape.  :-(
> \_ I'm gonna have to keep working my fingers to the bone clicking on scroll
> \_ bars I guess.
>
> Trust me, .Xdefaults *is* the answer.  Too many things depend on the x
> resource database for it not to be supported.
>
> \_ I think you need to invest in some new Pentium 3 or 4 iron so you can
> \_ provide support on latest RedHat stuff. Of course, I'm not offering to
> \_ subsidize it though.
>
> Hahaha.  Yeah.  I've eyeballed a couple of Athlon 1.2+
> systems/components, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'm
> torn on two topics:
>
> radeon vs geforce (philosophically && long term practicality)
> amd vs amd smp
>
> Given that the poor box I have now is a p-120 and runnin' on 6 years,
> I figure my next box will likely need the same lifespan.  Plus there's
> the inherent coolness of SMP.  Unfortunately, until there is more
> competition, there's all the inherent price of Athlon SMP.
>
> OTOH, I figure when I do upgrade from a p-120 to amd 1.2+, the order
> of magnitude power jump ought to make me delerious for a few days.

------
I'm trying to trust you...I'm just not getting it done...

pasting your previous into new .Xdefaults gives me and then running xrdb
-merge ~/.Xdefaults returns:

xrdb: colon missing on line 15, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 19, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 23, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 50, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 97, ignoring line
xrdb: colon missing on line 120, ignoring line

gives me the warm fuzzies...

alas, it undoubtedly was your mailer package inserting wraps an unseemly
places - so I fixed the source up.

did the xrdb -merge again - no errors this time /

quit netscape / terminal / logout Xwindows

start x

start netscape - no go

but I am grateful for the pointer to xrdb hint - I can see that that is
an interesting tool

xrdb -query tells you all the settings - I haven't a clue where these
are stored - it doesn't appear that they are stored in ~/ or in /etc/X11
(judging by file dates & times anyway).

As for your going from P200 to Athlon 1.2+ and becoming delirious - how
would we tell the difference?

Thanks for the effort - maybe it's my Kensington Mouse in a Box Optical
Pro mouse.

Craig