Wheel mouse & Netscape

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 07:28:33 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Craig White on 7/3/2001 22:55 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ "David A. Sinck" wrote:
\_ >
\_ > \_ SMTP quoth Mark R. Myers on 7/3/2001 00:50 as having spake thusly:
\_ > \_
\_ > \_ BTW,
\_ > \_     I am running RedHat 7.1. It uses the scrolling function of my PS/2
\_ > \_ Intellimouse just fine except for Netscape. The scrolling works fine in
\_ > \_ Konqueror & Opera just fine. Does anyone know how to get it working with
\_ > \_ Netscape? Do I need to use imwheel just for one program?
\_ >
\_ > See:
\_ > http://www-sop.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/
\_ >
\_ > A snippet from my .X11defaults file  (may be called .Xdefaults on your
\_ > box) is below.  Put it someplace, exit & kill netscape,
\_ > xrdb -merge ~/.X11defaults, and restart NS, and you should be in
\_ > downtown.
\_ >
\_ > YMMV
\_ >
\_ > david
\_ >
\_ ----------------
\_ David,
\_
\_ MMDV
\_
\_ I suspect that you are not using X86Free-4
\_
\_ I cannot locate any suitable .Xdefaults or .X11defaults

Ok, time for some deep magic then.  Reach into your archive (you did
save that 'useless' message, right?) then cast:

cat > ~/.Xdefaults
[paste]
^D

Then xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults.  I think that file will be autoscanned
when X starts.  Your other option is to fin Netscape.ad and put that
snippet into it in the appropriate place.

\_ Nothing looking like something I can hang your little fix for functional
\_ wheel on Netscape.  :-(
\_ I'm gonna have to keep working my fingers to the bone clicking on scroll
\_ bars I guess.

Trust me, .Xdefaults *is* the answer.  Too many things depend on the x
resource database for it not to be supported.

\_ I think you need to invest in some new Pentium 3 or 4 iron so you can
\_ provide support on latest RedHat stuff. Of course, I'm not offering to
\_ subsidize it though.

Hahaha.  Yeah.  I've eyeballed a couple of Athlon 1.2+
systems/components, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I'm
torn on two topics:

radeon vs geforce (philosophically && long term practicality)
amd vs amd smp

Given that the poor box I have now is a p-120 and runnin' on 6 years,
I figure my next box will likely need the same lifespan.  Plus there's
the inherent coolness of SMP.  Unfortunately, until there is more
competition, there's all the inherent price of Athlon SMP.

OTOH, I figure when I do upgrade from a p-120 to amd 1.2+, the order
of magnitude power jump ought to make me delerious for a few days.

David