KDE Office filters

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 13:51:53 -0700

Kurt Granroth wrote:

> On Monday 02 July 2001 12:44 pm, Craig White wrote:
> > Thus far - every time I have tried to open a .doc file with KWord, it just
> > says could not open file of type application/msword and completely quits -
> > similar happens when I use KSpread/.xls file. I presume that is because you
> > are using a cvs version and not a general release that slobs like me are
> > using.
>
> No, this has nothing to do with a release vs CVS.  It sounds like you either
> don't have the filters install for some really odd reason (maybe accidently
> deleted them?) or the mimetype cache isn't picking them up.
>
> First, try seeing if the necessary files exist:
>  $KDEDIR/share/services/ole_winword97_import.desktop
>  $KDEDIR/lib/libolefilter.so
>
> Second, try rebuilding the mimetype database:
>  'kbuildsycoca'
>
> Let me know if that works.
------------
files exist

locate ole_win
/usr/share/services/ole_winword97_import.desktop

[root@barney 7.1]# locate libolefil
/usr/lib/libolefilter.la
/usr/lib/libolefilter.so

[root@barney 7.1]# kbuildsycoca
Invalid entry (missing '=') at
/usr/share/applnk/Settings/WebBrowsing/proxy.desktop:86
Invalid entry (missing '=') at
/usr/share/applnk/gnome/Internet/gftp.desktop:12
Invalid entry (missing '=') at
/usr/share/applnk/gnome/Multimedia/extace.desktop:9
Invalid entry (missing '=') at
/usr/share/applnk/gnome/System/gtop.desktop:37

same problem

Do I need to restart KDE / X ? - I will do that immediately after
sending this email

Craig