KDE Office filters

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:26:30 -0700

On Monday 02 July 2001 12:44 pm, Craig White wrote:
> Thus far - every time I have tried to open a .doc file with KWord, it just
> says could not open file of type application/msword and completely quits -
> similar happens when I use KSpread/.xls file. I presume that is because you
> are using a cvs version and not a general release that slobs like me are
> using.

No, this has nothing to do with a release vs CVS.  It sounds like you either
don't have the filters install for some really odd reason (maybe accidently
deleted them?) or the mimetype cache isn't picking them up.

First, try seeing if the necessary files exist:
 $KDEDIR/share/services/ole_winword97_import.desktop
 $KDEDIR/lib/libolefilter.so

Second, try rebuilding the mimetype database:
 'kbuildsycoca'

Let me know if that works.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop