konqueror in Mandrake 8

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 13:21:51 -0700

On Monday 02 July 2001 12:31 pm, John wrote:
>  I have been trying to install java with Konqueror in Mdk 8 and have used
> the sun JRE 1.22 with limited success. I can open a java applet or the
> majority of it. If the applets involve interaction such as deprressing a
> button etc.I cannot get that to work. I used the instructions at
> Konqueror.org to try the JSSE and do not have the path/directory
> $KDEDIRS/share/apps/kjava/ or $KDEHOME/share/apps/kjava The closest I can
> find is
> home/zippy/.kde/share/apps. I do not have a kjava directory either. Should
> I create this DIR or am I looking in the wrong place altogether?

First, the JSSE should have NOTHING to do with normal interactions like
pressing buttons.  That sounds like a focus problem to me.

However, if you do want to enable JSSE, then go ahead.  When KDE docs refer
to $KDEDIR or $KDEDIRS, they mean the directory where KDE is installed on
your system.  For SuSE, this means "/opt/kde2".  RedHat has it in "/usr".  I
don't remember where Mandrake puts it.. probably in /usr.  So if you want to
install JSSE system wide, you will have to create the directory
/usr/share/apps/kjava and put the necessary files in it.

The $KDEHOME variable, on the other hand, refers to your local KDE config
directory.  This is usually $HOME/.kde ($HOME/.kde2 on SuSE).  So if you want
to enable JSSE only for you, create the directory
/home/zippy/.kde/share/apps/kjava and copy the files into there.

Back to the focus problem, though: Can you give me a few site pointers where
the java applets don't work for you?  Also, what version of KDE does Mandrake
8.0 ship with?  KDE 2.1.1?
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop