I have run out of time?! Can anyone please help?

Shea Ferring shea.ferring@analex.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:32:05 -0700

OK, well because all the contract crap I have with COX I am moving my
network to work where we have an IBIZ/ART connection. I will play with this
a bit and let you know how it works out. Thanks for the help

~Shea~

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Steven
M. Klass
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 6:47 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: I have run out of time?! Can anyone please help?

At 06:05 AM 1/30/01 -0700, you wrote:
>I am not an expert on the @home network but I will give you some guidence.
>If anyone on plug can correct me please feel free. See
>below.....
>
>Shea Ferring wrote:
>
> > Hello Phoenix Linux Users,
> >         I have been playing around with Linux over the last few months,
> setting up
> > a secure web server which runs perl cgi scripts, sends mail, uses
openssl
> > and does everything else a web server should do. Anyway, I have been
> using a
> > lot of the standard message boards for answering my questions, and
reading
> > online docs and bought a few books, but I have run out of time and
> there are
> > still a few more bugs that I have not figured out, and have not gotten
> > answers to. I was wondering if there is anyone in the phoenix area who
may
> > have a free night available who can come over and help me clear up some
of
> > these problems. I know this is not a standard post, but I am in
desperate
> > need for some help, and getting hands on help is so much faster than
online
> > communication. If any of you Linux/Web gurus have a few free hours, I
could
> > pay for your time, or buy you lunch, or dinner or whatever if you could
> help
> > me out. Here is a quick overview of what I am doing and where I am at:
> >
> > I have a cable modem/router/hub configuration which forwards all http
and
> > https requests to my Linux box. I have a domain name registered, and
> > pointing to my DNS and IP (of the router). I have a trial cert from
> > verisign. and I am running RedHat 7.0 with apache and openssl. Here are
my
> > problems.
> >
> > I am using @home, and any mail I send from my Linux box to @home, is
> > bounced?

I have to make the assumption that your dns is working and that you have
set your box up as "your domain" and not that
cx-123.phx.chnd1.az.home.com.  Cox will only accept connections from your
cx number, otherwise it's relaying and they won't do it..

What is your domain and can I resolve it?

>You cannot relay mail to @home if you are simply fowarding from individual
>accounts you should not have a problem with this. However if
>you are trying to send mail to other host ie joeblow@yahoo.com you do not
>need to relay through @home mail servers. REDHAT Sendmail will
>communicate with virtually all SMTP mail servers on the net. But you need
>to accept connections from the outside world on ports 25
>(SMTP) and 110 (POP3) .

         You shouldn't need to accept connections on SMTP just send on
them.  This assumes you just want to "send" mail not recieve it.  As far as
sending mail you don't need to go through @home at all.  They will probably
not allow relaying as stated above.  Can you send mail? Locally (echo hello
| mail me@cx-123.phx.chnd1.az.home.com)?  Externally (joblow@hotmail.com)?
If you can send mail this is about all you are going to be able to do
within the cox framework.  Recieveing mail becomes difficult because now
you need to open SMTP for recieveing.  This also means your dns will have
to be able to be resolved.  Last time I tried this, cox does not reverse
look-up any @ home network.  So the best you could do is me@24.14.30.30
Attempting to hi-jack their ip won't work, it breaches your contract with
them.
         You only need to open POP3 if you mant to get your mail from
external to your network.  Like at work?  But again, if your dns isn't
right then this is futile.

>This is where you might have problems with the @home network blocking
>incoming connections.
>

> > I can access my server from another machine on the LAN in https mode,
but I
> > can only connect using http from outside the LAN?
> > When I connect using https, I get a message that the name on the
security
> > certificate does not match the name on the site?
>
>This is most likley because the reverse lookup is failing.
>even if you are running you own dns server you are not authoritive for the
>reverse for
>your public connected ip. @home is and I do not think they will release
>control or make the entry you need since you likly have a
>consumer account.

Agreed, you are absolutely correct

> > My registered domain name does note come up, so I need to use the IP to
> > connect to the site?
> >

>I would have to know the domain name in order to help here.
>
>Anyway if you cannot get these issues resolved then you might try finding
>a local isp like the one I work for that offers server
>colocation for 25 bucks a month*** or a friend who has dsl with static
>ip's and a friendly isp.
>Robert Hendley
>DIGITAL FRONTIER ACCESS

Another choice is to do something slightly different.  I did the same thing
about a year ago, and domain direct will allow you to route html pages to
an IP address.  So basically, you have a web site on a local box (@home
network) and they hold the dns info on it.  Then, when I connect to your
domain, it's redirected to your @ home site.  It's cheesy redirection, but
it works.  Now this IS A BREACH of your contract.  Be warned!!  If your IP
gets flagged, you could be left without anything!!

In short before you attempt anything else get your dns working.  If this
doesn't work for both the outside and the inside world, everything else
will be moot.:(

later

> > If anyone could please help me out it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> > ~Shea~

Steven M. Klass
Physical Design Engineering Manager

Andigilog Inc.