X tarballs - makeing X from the source..

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 11:26:58 -0700

\_ Hi all.
\_
\_          Last night I pulled the source tarballs of X 4.0.2.  Can someone
\_ point me in the right direction for compiling these monsters.  It's not
\_ ./configure make make install..  I have to set up the /cf/site.def  Do I
\_ just copy the linux.def to the site.def or what?  The reason is I want to
\_ be able to get my itouch working and someone has posted a patch for linux
\_ to to enable the buttons.  I just have to patch the X source and  compile.

I'm guessing there's at least one README that'll help.

Things in particular that I'd look for that may be helpful (not
necessarily in order):

make world
xmkmf -a

see if you can get the compiler to build for your architecture
(building for a 586 has got to make X faster than a vanilla 386 build
[this may just be an rpm idiosynchoncy that I'm mispropagating]).

YMMV.

David