I have run out of time?! Can anyone please help?

Robert Hendley zen@digitalf.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:05:48 -0700

I am not an expert on the @home network but I will give you some guidence. If anyone on plug can correct me please feel free. See
below.....

Shea Ferring wrote:

> Hello Phoenix Linux Users,
>         I have been playing around with Linux over the last few months, setting up
> a secure web server which runs perl cgi scripts, sends mail, uses openssl
> and does everything else a web server should do. Anyway, I have been using a
> lot of the standard message boards for answering my questions, and reading
> online docs and bought a few books, but I have run out of time and there are
> still a few more bugs that I have not figured out, and have not gotten
> answers to. I was wondering if there is anyone in the phoenix area who may
> have a free night available who can come over and help me clear up some of
> these problems. I know this is not a standard post, but I am in desperate
> need for some help, and getting hands on help is so much faster than online
> communication. If any of you Linux/Web gurus have a few free hours, I could
> pay for your time, or buy you lunch, or dinner or whatever if you could help
> me out. Here is a quick overview of what I am doing and where I am at:
>
> I have a cable modem/router/hub configuration which forwards all http and
> https requests to my Linux box. I have a domain name registered, and
> pointing to my DNS and IP (of the router). I have a trial cert from
> verisign. and I am running RedHat 7.0 with apache and openssl. Here are my
> problems.
>
> I am using @home, and any mail I send from my Linux box to @home, is
> bounced?

You cannot relay mail to @home if you are simply fowarding from individual accounts you should not have a problem with this. However if
you are trying to send mail to other host ie joeblow@yahoo.com you do not need to relay through @home mail servers. REDHAT Sendmail will
communicate with virtually all SMTP mail servers on the net. But you need to accept connections from the outside world on ports 25
(SMTP) and 110 (POP3) . This is where you might have problems with the @home network blocking incoming connections.

> I can access my server from another machine on the LAN in https mode, but I
> can only connect using http from outside the LAN?
> When I connect using https, I get a message that the name on the security
> certificate does not match the name on the site?

This is most likley because the reverse lookup is failing.
even if you are running you own dns server you are not authoritive for the reverse for
your public connected ip. @home is and I do not think they will release control or make the entry you need since you likly have a
consumer account.

> My registered domain name does note come up, so I need to use the IP to
> connect to the site?

I would have to know the domain name in order to help here.

Anyway if you cannot get these issues resolved then you might try finding a local isp like the one I work for that offers server
colocation for 25 bucks a month*** or a friend who has dsl with static ip's and a friendly isp.
Robert Hendley
DIGITAL FRONTIER ACCESS