X 4, Debian -> woes

Joel Dudley Joel.Dudley@DevelopOnline.com
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 07:45:46 -0700

They have a fix for this on debianplanet.org.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Starke [mailto:mgcon@neta.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 20, 2001 5:29 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: X 4, Debian -> woes

I just decided to point apt sources to woody (thought
I would give woody a shot). Was anxious to try out
mysql 3.23, and was having problems with nfs and a 2.4
kernel, so I thought woody would be the ticket.

Anyway, X doesn't work. Broke. I went to 4 from 3
and my voodoo card chokes on the old file (XF86Config).
The new XF86Config-4 gives me an error
"can't open default font fixed"

This error is when I choose a 'vga' driver for my device,
as anything else wil not load.

I'm not a die-hard X guy, so sweat is not rolling down
my cheeks or anything, but I sure would like to fire
X up again soon (use Lyx extensively).

I have a 2.4.0 kernel, XFree 4, and a
Voodoo 3 2000 card if that helps anyone.

Mike
mgcon@getnet.com
http://www.getnet.com/~mgcon
Phoenix, AZ