Hardware:Zip:Plug

Keith Smith keith@christianexchange.org
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 18:39:52 -0700

Hi All,

This is not a true Linux question.  I have several computers.  Two are
almost identical amd500's.  I set one up as follows

amd500
256mb ram
14gig WD ultradma66 7200rpm
some video card?
1.44
sony 48x cd
plexwriter cd rewriter 8/4/32A
100mb zip internal
O/S = W2K Server.

The problem was intermittent data errors, kernel32 errors, and program
fatal errors.

I transferred the

video card
plexwriter cd rewriter 8/4/32A
100mb zip internal
ram

into another box containing  amd500 and the same type motherboard,
along with a 20.5 gig ultradma66 7200rpm hard drive.

I loaded Win98 and all was well for a week or so.  I read a disk on
the zip drive and began to experience the same problems as on the W2K
Server.  I later turned off the computer and when I tried to reboot I
got an error that the hard drive was not readable.  I cold and warm
booted the computer 5 or 6 times and it started to work.

Today it would not boot again.  I removed the zip and all is fine.

Now here is the question.  I was told by a friend that these zip
drives cause a lot of trouble as a rule.  He says they cause bus
problems.

So now I wonder if I have a bad drive or some hardware
incompatibility.

Any and all input desired and appreciated.

Thanks,
Keith