interesting problems

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 07:39:48 -0700

\_ ok,
\_ something wierd, strange and/or bizaar is going on with my system.

Woohoo! Normality at last!

\_ What concerns me most atm, is the NIC. could it be getting old (dying)?
\_ the behavior is such that it will remian dependable for days, weeks,
\_ months and then pull this crap and then the problem goes away again.
\_
\_ Could it be a software problem with redhat 7.0?
\_
\_ what about a bad module?
\_
\_ anything else I am missing here?

Bad memory.  Hot chip.  Insufficient sacrifices.

Do you have all the happy updates to rh7?
Does the message log have any trace of kernel oopses?
Can you ctrl-alt-f1 to a term, or is it harder than that?
Can you ctrl-alt-backspace to shoot X, or is it harder than that?
Can you ping/surf/ssh into the box from another box?
And, based on the UPS thread unravelling on the list, how is your
power quality?

I've heard weird things about the *frequency* of the power from the
wall changing doing evil and nasty things to the computers.  (Multiple
big compressors apparently on the same mains took the frequency down
to 50Hz when they kicked.)

David