Sprint broadband

Mark Holbert mark@linuxsoftware.org
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 18:32:18 -0700

I am currently using Sprint Broadband (but not for long).  During non-peak
hours I usually see about 14-20% packet loss and terrible upload speeds.
During peak hours, I see about 30% packet loss and upload speeds around 2k.
(yes, 2k)  It took me 6 hours to upload a 500k file the other day.  I am
still in the process of switching to DSL but the last time USWest came out,
I had the cops called on me (long story, just think nosey neighbor).  I will
have to say that I do SOMEtimes see d/l speeds upwards of 80-100k, but it's
rare.

I was told that I was in a overloaded area (there are many from what I hear)
and that I may be experiencing interference as I have a straight sightline
to the tower sitting right in front of the one with Sprint's antenna on it.

Now, on the other hand, the techs just laughed when they walked in and saw 5
computers all running behind a Linux firewall.  As long as I was willing to
have a Win98 machine connected while they were there, they had no problems
with me running a network behind it.  I also called about 11pm one
particularly bad night and was connected to a support tech that actually
knew BSD and was able to help diagnose at least one problem with the
service.

Long story short, until Sprint updates the equipment, I would stay away from
it.  That is unless you have no choice, then call for support late a night
*wink*.

Mark Holbert
mark@linuxsoftware.org