RPM upgrade.

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 11:30:40 -0700

On Jan 10, 10:42am, Don Harrop wrote:

> I've got a RH 6.2 system and would like to uptdate RPM 3.x to RPM
> 4.x.  Turns out that the rpm's for version 4 were built using version
> 4 so you can't upgrade it with rpm.  I went to ftp.rpm.org and grabbed the
> sources for rpm but I'm really not sure if building from the sources will
> screw up the current rpm data or what?  Has anybody out there done this
> upgrade already that could share some tips or pointers?

There was an intermediate version of RPM that was packaged as a 3.X
RPM, but which handled the new 4.X format.  I used this for a time
when I was trying to do limited upgrades of my 6.2 box to use some
7.0 source RPMs.  (You can't install 7.0 binaries on a 6.2 box and
expect them to work, but building from source has a reasonable chance
of working.)

I'm not certain of the version number.  I think it might've been
3.0.5-9.6x.  (Use the "web find" feature of GnoRPM to locate it.)

Also, I think Red Hat Network is available now of 6.2 boxes.  I
wouldn't be surprised if there's an update to RPM to bring you
up to the 4.X level.

Kevin