gdm(?) login screen gone

Bob Holtzman holtzm@primenet.com
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 01:13:50 -0700

I tried posting this in comp.os.linux.misc. Got a couple of responses but
nothing worked. Maybe someone here knows about this.

After copying some files to my zip disk I found I couldn't unmount the
drive (device busy) even though I was in the /mnt directory. Not being
aware of "fuser" the only thing I could think of was to reboot. Big
mistake! The shutdown messages showed a failure to unmount hdd1 and when it
booted it showed hda6 and 7 (/ and /home) not cleanly unmounted and forced
check (of course) which both passed. When it finished I was in an X window,
no GUI login (which it should have been) _or_ CLI. Rebooting into run level
3 gave me a CLI and "startx" brought up Gnome. All apps seem o.k. Using
Gnome's menu logout returns to CLI instead of graphical login and lists
several Gtk and GnomeUI warnings and a command prompt.

Can't find anything in the logs pertaining to this.

Ran across some wierd entries in /var/gdm/:0.log but I don't know their
relationship to this problem:

AUDIT: Wed Jan 10 00:39:50 2001: 525 X: client 1 rejected from local host
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

Any pointers or suggestions on how to boot directly into run level 5 and
get the GUI login back or how to begin attacking this would be appreciated.

I'm running Redhat 6.0

Bob Holtzman
check the price of the beer!"