Virtual Hosting

George Toft george@georgetoft.com
Sun, 07 Jan 2001 11:27:15 -0700

Cheap as the boss could find.  Ultra-66 IDE's, but the UDMA-66
drivers were not installed, so they were a little slower.  We could
sustain 2 MBytes/sec data transfer, which is about 40% of the max
that UDMA-66 can *sustain* (or so I've read).  My goal was to give
the box as much RAM as was necessary to minimize hard drive access,
so drive speed became less important.

These run Apache, wu-ftp, qmail, snmp and mysql.  Each server is
totally self-contained, except for DNS.  Most of the servers had 64MB
RAM, some 128MB, and a couple had 256MB.  All hard drives are 10GB
Quantum fireballs, with a few Seagates and Western Digitals (no, the
WD's did not work very well).  Network is 100BaseTx.

The busiest site we had (10mbps traffic the day her site was
announced on the Howard Stern show) was actually running on three
of these boxes using round-robin DNS.  Her site stayed up throughout
the show, which is very unusual for a Howard Stern promo.  I wish
I could remember her name.

George