Linux Data Server..

David Demland ddemland@cadtel.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 13:12:20 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Steven
M. Klass
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 8:49 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Linux Data Server..

Hey all,

         I usually hang out on the lists and don't say much, but I've been
happy using linux for 3 years now!! Anyway, I am always pushing our CEO to
shift to linux, and now it has paid off. When faced with a $2K upgrade
price for NT Server and me simply saying FREE he has changed his ways.. Now
I get to build a data server in the next couple of days.
         I am familiar with Linux so installing is cake. I prefer
Slackware, but I look at this as a huge transition for our company. We have
several computers that are running linux, but this computer is setting the
stage for all future Linux computing, because this is "mission critical",
and dependant from the whole company. My plan was to install slack 7.1
base, get samba, use NIS / NFS for all other Linux boxes. Eventually we
will shift PDC from NT to Linux but not now. One of the things I'm
considering is to install redhat, simply for it's PAM integration. Granted,
I could install Slack then PAM, but it appears there are some quirks.
(Troll deja and see for yourself.. IF I am mistaken PLEASE let me know)

So my questions are as follows:
1) Is PAM worth it in the long run?
2) What else can Linux as a data server do for me?
3) From a Systems Admin point of view, how should the maintenance (adding
deleting users, quotas, password integration between samba, NIS, and pwd)
affect this decision and what do large scale systems (>250 people) do for
this
4) What else should I be considering that I may not be?

Just some nice info - currently we have 30+ workstations and 20+ employees

Thanks for your input

Steven M. Klass
Physical Design Engineering Manager

Andigilog Inc.