because I am not above asking...

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:34:54 -0700

He didn't type it in "from memory."

He randomly chose a salt and a password and
used his mind to create the hash using the
same hash function that Solaris uses!  Three
minutes to Wapner.  Yeah.  About a hundred
dollars.  Yeah.

The only thing I can think of on the "position"
issue is that the code that reads /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow might go a little wonky if
the two files weren't in sync (e.g., /etc/shadow
has a like for "bgates" but a corresponding
entry is missing from /etc/passwd).  If /etc/passwd
and /etc/shadow WERE in sync (same logins and the
logins are in the same order in both files),
then that would be quite a stumper.

I remember waay back on SCO Unix that its
security subsystem wasn't happy if /etc/passwd,
/etc/group, and the tcb ("trusted" computing
base (ja, right!)) weren't consistent.