NSI... moving a domain

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 19:16:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 27. Feb, 2001 schwäzte John Albee so:

> After configuring all the appropriate servers I now need to move our primary
> domain(empresamexicana.com) from a virtual server(communitech.net) to our
> own in house servers.  My plan is to try to move the domain and setup the
> nameservers all at the same time(create ns1.empresamexicana.com and
> ns2.empresamexicana.com).  Is there any way good way of doing this.  It
> seems that in order to setup name servers you need full technical control of

Nope. Granted, they won't get used until someone thinks they're the proper
servers :). I recommend setting them up and then setting up at least a few
of your internal boxen to use them. Give them a bit of a test.

At the same time on the servers out on the net set the TTL really low, say
10 min. Let that ride for a few days to allow caches to die out. Then you
can move with minimal impact.

If you can get whomever is currently running stuff to setup their mail
server to recognize yours as the better MX.

Also, when you do the switch get them to setup their web daemons to
auto-forward requests to your new boxen.

Any other services you run?

If you can move services one at a time. Makes life so much less hectic :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,