samba and netatalk

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:50:29 -0700

I neglected to mention...
<http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/>

sign up for the mail list - within days you will get an idea of the problems
with netatalk and with the combo of netatalk/samba - there are many - too
many to detail here but by far the biggest problem is file locking. Unix
locks 'in use' files differently from Windows and differently from Macintosh
HFS. It is entirely possible to open the same file at the same time with all
three OS's and I shouldn't have to tell you how this is the recipe for
cooking up a major helping of disaster.

Craig

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252
- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com
- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com
- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net
- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752
- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445