cable modem

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 09:54:42 -0700

\_ If I just plug in a new modem, LanCity or another kind, would it just
\_ work, or would it require configuration changes on their end?
AFAIK, they control the connection/config of the cable modems on their
end.  They need to work their magic.  It's my understanding that the
LanCity modems are more pliable to client side adjustments, but I
dunno.  Some areas are 'dual mode' meaning they support both lancity
and the new docsis format.  Some areas are one or the other.

\_  And
\_ would I be likely to lose my static IP, due either to the modem
\_ or to the configuration changes that they'd probably make?
I'd guess that you have 80% chance of getting that new ip smell from
a new modem.

\_ One thing I've heard is to give the Cox chimp an NT
\_ box for his "pretend install."
The folks I've dealt with have been reasonable, one I even gave the
mneumonic addr to the plug website, as he seemed more than passingly
interested in linux.

\_ The reason is that
\_ Cox' DHCP server/NT's DHCP client has "issues," so
\_ the chimp will configure your NT system with a static
\_ IP.  Dunno if that's still true or not, but couldn't hurt!

Well, based on my experience, cox has yet to enforce the 'D' part of
DHCP.  For actually using DHCP to config, there are traps so that you
can set up your box to automatically pull the dhcp with dhcpd (or
dhcpcd...get the client one, as cox won't like your dhcp daemon
responding faster than theirs :-).  Think you'll need to look into the
-h flag for local node name or something.

David