PLUG-ing BSD was Re: qmail install

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:07:56 -0700 (MST)

Am 19. Feb, 2001 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> I tend not to ask very many questions on this list, but I do not think

You do, however, provide kick ass answers :).

> it is helpful to tell someone who's having a Linux problem to use *BSD
> instead.  In a similar vein, it's also not helpful to tell someone
> who's having problems with their Debian install to use Red Hat instead
> (or vice versa).

It was fun to watch you put one in vs debian the other day, though :).

> OTOH, if you're really knowledgable (as JLF is on many matters) and
> you can explain how to solve the problem using Linux *and* how that
> solution contrasts with a *BSD solution, that *is* helpful.  (I would
> learn a lot from such discussions.)

Mucho agreement.

> I have no problem with BSD discussions taking place on the main PLUG
> list.  If these discussions start generating too much traffic, we
> ought to consider creating a new list, but until that happens, I'd
> prefer see the discussion happen on the main list.

Yeah. I see it the same way as the Anthony's job stuff earlier. If it's
adding to the PLUG experience without detracting from it too much, then
it's cool. If it's overwhelming us some, then we need to reevaluate what
it is we're trying to do[1], and how to deal with the new influx. New
mailing lists are easily achievable. So is working with other groups.

ciao,

der.hans

[1] BTW, have we mentioned that there's an open meeting on Mar 1 at
Sequoia to help guide the steering committee in directions that PLUG, as a
group, would like to see the group move?
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Keine Ahnung, was ich dir sagen soll,