PLUG-ing BSD was Re: qmail install

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:53:27 -0700

On Feb 17,  3:19pm, Jean Francois wrote:

> I have noticed, as I am sure all of you have, that there are a few heretics
> among us that have been recommending one of the BSDs to Linux users when they
> are having problems.

I tend not to ask very many questions on this list, but I do not think
it is helpful to tell someone who's having a Linux problem to use *BSD
instead.  In a similar vein, it's also not helpful to tell someone
who's having problems with their Debian install to use Red Hat instead
(or vice versa).

OTOH, if you're really knowledgable (as JLF is on many matters) and
you can explain how to solve the problem using Linux *and* how that
solution contrasts with a *BSD solution, that *is* helpful.  (I would
learn a lot from such discussions.)

> Is this a good time to start discussing what BSD User Groups are available and
> maybe moving to/starting a new mailing list for the BSD users among us to take
> the off-topic posts off of the PLUG list?
>
> Sooner or later the Linux vs. *BSD Holy Wars will hit the list and I
> prefer not to have to go thru that....again...
>
> Another suggestion might be to slightly modify the PLUG charter to
> be inclusive of all Free Operating Systems and Software.

I have no problem with BSD discussions taking place on the main PLUG
list.  If these discussions start generating too much traffic, we
ought to consider creating a new list, but until that happens, I'd
prefer see the discussion happen on the main list.

Kevin