Interesting MS Comments

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 20:28:50 -0700

--------------00175AF2A4490E863FC1CEA6

I think you've hit the nail on the head about one of the most likely ways for MS and others to attack open source.  They can't prohibit
it outright, just like they can't directly prohibit free speech or guns in our great country.  But Linux could conceivably be used as a
tool to violate the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (or whatever that outrage is called) and they could try to outlaw open-source code
for drivers for these kinds of devices.

Besides that, a lot of Linux people have also been involved in the smuggling of encryption, oops I mean "munitions", over national
borders.  So they'll have to find some way to prevent PGP from running in Windows, probably refusing to issue some sort of "approval
certificate" that will be required for Windows apps in the future.  The government could require Linux distros to incorporate a similar
scheme, just like automakers are required to put in airbags whether the customers want them or not.

Those are just two examples of "threats" that could justify government intervention in open source code.  Restrict the right to use
open source in too many areas, and Linux will end up as a swiss cheese system riddled with buggy and unmodifiable proprietary code.
They've been pursuing a similar tactic with private gun ownership-- create SO many regulations, prohibitions and conditions for
ownership and use of a weapon, that even if you're not an ex-felon, you can't legally use it to protect yourself in 99% of the
situations where you'd really need it.  (And these days, most felonies are not even violent crimes.)  But I digress.  You may not agree
with my pro-gun enthusiasm, but I think the metaphor is a good one.   We shouldn't be paranoid-- but we must be eternally vigilant.

Vaughn Treude

Todd Hought wrote:

> Here's the scary part, every one of US sees that this is just a bunch of
> malarkey, but Joe Consumer doesn't. Regular people are easily influenced by
> what they read and see, and most people out there would see something like
> this and think "Those Open Source people really ARE undermining those nice
> people who built my Windows...." All it would take, is one powerful, idiot
> congressperson, to put a bug like this into the system, and it just COULD be
> illegal to write free software, let's face it, we're not being shown in a
> good light after that MPAA fiasco, and it isn't even over yet.
>
> Somebody on /. posted a good comment about an open letter to every single
> representative, written by every one of us (read: the open source community),
> included with say, a full copy of the Debian Distro (all 10+ CD's) and a copy
> of every other distro, even the teeny tiny ones, just so that people in power
> would get a clearer picture of what innovation people like us have created
> for the world they live in. I'm all for it, let's get 'em!
>
> -Todd
>
> On Friday 16 February 2001 11:24, you wrote:
> > My thoughts exactly, Trent.
> >
> > Also, who else has more money, power, and influence to mount a legal
> > attack against GPL/LGPL/ect.  If they can poke holes in the legal
> > protections guaranteed by the Open Source licenses, the end is near.
> >
> > On Friday 16 February 2001 11:13, you wrote:
> > > Hardly clueless, but obviously scared.
> > >
> > > MS is signaling the start of a *major* disinformation campaign.  OS
> > > market share is obviously partly in play, but arguing open source is
> > > anti-competitive would indicate Microsoft is making a strategic move.
> > >
> > > Maybe they want to eliminate GNU or Java style licenses.  Also, much
> > > open source software seems to be developed by quasi-cartels.  An IBM -
> > > SUN cartel disguised as an open source collaboration should frighten
> > > Microsoft.

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------00175AF2A4490E863FC1CEA6

I think you've hit the nail on the head about one of the most likely ways
for MS&nbsp;and others to attack open source.&nbsp; They can't prohibit
it outright, just like they can't directly prohibit free speech or guns
in our great country.&nbsp; But Linux could conceivably be used as a tool
to violate the Digital Millenium Copyright Act (or whatever that outrage
is called) and they could try to outlaw open-source code for drivers for
these kinds of devices.
of encryption, oops I mean "munitions", over national borders.&nbsp; So
they'll have to find some way to prevent PGP from running in Windows, probably
refusing to issue some sort of "approval certificate" that will be required
for Windows apps in the future.&nbsp; The government could require Linux
distros to incorporate a similar scheme, just like automakers are required
to put in airbags whether the customers want them or not.
intervention in open source code.&nbsp; Restrict the right to use open
source in too many areas, and Linux will end up as a swiss cheese system
riddled with buggy and unmodifiable proprietary code.&nbsp; They've been
pursuing a similar tactic with private gun ownership-- create SO&nbsp;many
regulations, prohibitions and conditions for ownership and use of a weapon,
that even if you're not an ex-felon, you can't legally use it to protect
yourself in 99% of the situations where you'd really need it.&nbsp; (And
these days, most felonies are not even violent crimes.)&nbsp; But I digress.&nbsp;
You may not agree with my pro-gun enthusiasm, but I&nbsp;think the metaphor
is a good one.&nbsp;&nbsp; We shouldn't be paranoid-- but we must be eternally
vigilant.
this is just a bunch of
by
like
nice
idiot
COULD be
in a
and a copy
in power
created
legal
OS
is
move.
Also, much
An IBM -
Behalf Of
at the
over
have on
if MS
amusing:
will
"I
done
home I
the way
if your
if your mail
mail.
want
if your mail
mail.
if your mail doesn't
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------00175AF2A4490E863FC1CEA6--