Any ways to speed up linux?

proudhawk@uswestmail.net proudhawk@uswestmail.net
17 Feb 2001 15:13:30 -0800

Benchmarks tests are all fine and good, but they don't tell the whole story. by using hdparm in your init scripting, you increase the performance of the system before too many other apps load.. this way, you are getting absolutely the best perfornace out of your HD hardware as possible.

also, did you run the test in a strict CLI or was it under X?
that can also make a big difference (as X sometimes like to cache to disk at times)..

Just a few notes from the point of view that if it doesn't hurt, it probably helps.