NT5 dual boot

CIE-Keith keith@christianexchange.org
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:59:51 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C096D9.D62CBE20

Ashton-Tate who created dBase found in the mid 80's that their sales =
dropped when they started all that copy protect stuff that was popular =
at the time.  It seems that pirating actually stimulates sales.

I think once the masses rise up against M$ and/or some mechanism that =
allows for an override, M$ will come to it's senses.  Can you imagine =
Corporate America being brought to it's knees because they are on hold =
waiting for an authentication number to reinstall, while hundreds or =
thousands of workers stand idle?

I think M$ will be humbled by this.

Keith Smith

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Vaughn Treude=20
  To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2001 11:31 AM
  Subject: Re: NT5 dual boot

  I definitely agree with Keith on this one.  I've tried both, and I =
think that trying to put multiple OS's on any single drive just isn't =
worth the trouble (unless maybe you're tucking an old version of DOS in =
a corner somewhere.)  Drives are pretty cheap anyway.  I know it's a =
waste when you've got one of those huge 20+ gig drives.  But there are =
still a lot of smaller ones available.  (A good cheap source is old =
PC's, which  people discard as Windows and games get more and more =
resource-hungry.)=20
  The removable-drive option sounds good (haven't tried it) but I =
wouldn't do that unless I had an additional data drive on the system.   =
I'd keep all my documents, multimedia files, etc., on the fixed one, so =
it could be accessed from any OS.  Unfortunately it would have to be in =
a format that Windows can recognize.=20

  Regarding the "why" of dual booting, I've got no problem with using =
Windows, as long as you can stomach the frequent crashes of 9* (and Me?) =
and/or the hardware limitations of NT.  But I was hearing from a =
colleague last night about the licensing and distribution changes that =
MS is proposing for its next release, Windows XP.  They range from =
annoying (being forced to register the program to keep it running) to =
arrogant (you'll be required to keep a licensing sticker on the machine, =
so if you move the drive to a new case you're supposed to buy a new =
license) to downright idiotic (end users won't be allowed to install the =
OS.  You'll have to have a MS technician do that.)  Some of these =
"anti-piracy" innovations probably depend on the nationwide passage of =
UCITA.   Others will probably go the way of the "we're merging Windows =
9* into 2000" nonsense.  But I'll certainly be less inclined to buy or =
use ANYTHING Microsoft, if these things all come to pass.=20

  (Please excuse me if you guys already knew this stuff.  Sometimes I'm =
not paying attention the first time it comes out...)=20

  Vaughn Treude=20

  CIE-Keith wrote:=20
  I had nothing but trouble trying to maintain w95 and Linux on the same =

    drive.  Every time I reinstalled w95 it would overwrite the mbr? and =
I=20
    would have to play with lilo or reinstall Linux.  I spent a week=20
    trying to get the two to play nice with each other.  I think it is a =

    windows dominance problem.=20
    My solution was to use two hard drives.  Things work better however =
I=20
    think the real solution is two removable hard drives.  I will be=20
    installing w2k server (NT5?) soon and will be using a removable.  I=20
    want to use the same box as both a w2k server and a Linux server, on =

    separate removable drives.  Of course this all in the privacy of my=20
    home.=20

    Keith Smith=20
    (not the football player)=20

    ----- Original Message -----=20