NT5 dual boot

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:31:31 -0700

--------------F647DB93BDB838F6A53811F6

I definitely agree with Keith on this one.  I've tried both, and I think that trying to put multiple OS's on any single drive just
isn't worth the trouble (unless maybe you're tucking an old version of DOS in a corner somewhere.)  Drives are pretty cheap anyway.  I
know it's a waste when you've got one of those huge 20+ gig drives.  But there are still a lot of smaller ones available.  (A good
cheap source is old PC's, which  people discard as Windows and games get more and more resource-hungry.)

The removable-drive option sounds good (haven't tried it) but I wouldn't do that unless I had an additional data drive on the system.
I'd keep all my documents, multimedia files, etc., on the fixed one, so it could be accessed from any OS.  Unfortunately it would have
to be in a format that Windows can recognize.

Regarding the "why" of dual booting, I've got no problem with using Windows, as long as you can stomach the frequent crashes of 9* (and
Me?) and/or the hardware limitations of NT.  But I was hearing from a colleague last night about the licensing and distribution changes
that MS is proposing for its next release, Windows XP.  They range from annoying (being forced to register the program to keep it
running) to arrogant (you'll be required to keep a licensing sticker on the machine, so if you move the drive to a new case you're
supposed to buy a new license) to downright idiotic (end users won't be allowed to install the OS.  You'll have to have a MS technician
do that.)  Some of these "anti-piracy" innovations probably depend on the nationwide passage of UCITA.   Others will probably go the
way of the "we're merging Windows 9* into 2000" nonsense.  But I'll certainly be less inclined to buy or use ANYTHING Microsoft, if
these things all come to pass.

(Please excuse me if you guys already knew this stuff.  Sometimes I'm not paying attention the first time it comes out...)

Vaughn Treude

CIE-Keith wrote:
I had nothing but trouble trying to maintain w95 and Linux on the same

> drive.  Every time I reinstalled w95 it would overwrite the mbr? and I
> would have to play with lilo or reinstall Linux.  I spent a week
> trying to get the two to play nice with each other.  I think it is a
> windows dominance problem.
>
> My solution was to use two hard drives.  Things work better however I
> think the real solution is two removable hard drives.  I will be
> installing w2k server (NT5?) soon and will be using a removable.  I
> want to use the same box as both a w2k server and a Linux server, on
> separate removable drives.  Of course this all in the privacy of my
> home.
>
> Keith Smith
> (not the football player)

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------F647DB93BDB838F6A53811F6

I definitely agree with Keith on this one.&nbsp; I've tried both, and I
think that trying to put multiple OS's on any single drive just isn't worth
the trouble (unless maybe you're tucking an old version of DOS in a corner
somewhere.)&nbsp; Drives are pretty cheap anyway.&nbsp; I know it's a waste
when you've got one of those huge 20+ gig drives.&nbsp; But there are still
a lot of smaller ones available.&nbsp; (A good cheap source is old PC's,
which&nbsp; people discard as Windows and games get more and more resource-hungry.)
do that unless I had an additional data drive on the system.&nbsp;&nbsp;
I'd keep all my documents, multimedia files, etc., on the fixed one, so
it could be accessed from any OS.&nbsp; Unfortunately it would have to
be in a format that Windows can recognize.
Windows, as long as you can stomach the frequent crashes of 9* (and Me?)
and/or the hardware limitations of NT.&nbsp; But I was hearing from a colleague
last night about the licensing and distribution changes that MS is proposing
for its next release, Windows XP.&nbsp; They range from annoying (being
forced to register the program to keep it running) to arrogant (you'll
be required to keep a licensing sticker on the machine, so if you move
the drive to a new case you're supposed to buy a new license) to downright
idiotic (end users won't be allowed to install the OS.&nbsp; You'll have
to have a MS technician do that.)&nbsp; Some of these "anti-piracy" innovations
probably depend on the nationwide passage of UCITA.&nbsp;&nbsp; Others
will probably go the way of the "we're merging Windows 9* into 2000" nonsense.&nbsp;
But I'll certainly be less inclined to buy or use ANYTHING&nbsp;Microsoft,
if these things all come to pass.
I'm not paying attention the first time it comes out...)
overwrite the mbr? and I
is a
be
of my
if your mail
if your mail
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------F647DB93BDB838F6A53811F6--