Linux Laptop turnkey

Kevin Brown kevin_brown@qwest.net
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:11:27 -0700

Well I should hopefully be getting my laptop back from Panasonic with its 2GB
drive reimaged sometime this week.  When I get it back I'm going to be putting
in a 20GB drive that I got.  I've been able to get RH installed on it in the
past (5.2 - 6.x), but always seem to hit or miss on something with the
configuration.  I haven't had much success in doing things like recompiling
kernels, and pcmcia is a bit flaky with the version that comes with RH (latest
is 3.1.8 iirc), again not much success when downloading from CVS on sourceforge
and recompiling.  I was downloading the 4 isos for Debian (Disk 1-3 and Non-us)
to try out at work and see how that works and to give me some experience in a
non-RH version of linux.

I've had good success with getting sound to work, but of course I cheat by
getting the configuration while in windows.