Linux Laptop turnkey

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 19:32:49 -0700 (MST)

Am 12. Feb, 2001 schwäzte Trent Shipley so:

>    Hardware-wise I want 500+ MHz, 128Mbytes, & 10+ Gbytes.
>       As for the screen . . . I haven't played a computer game in months.

That'll blow my desktop away :). Make sure you go for something with good
battery life.

>     However, scrubbing a brand-new 'working' system is galling.
> Nevertheless, to be rid of Windows Me I would do it -- but given the
> problems people seem to have installing Linux on laptops and my schedule
> crunch, now is not the time to spend a week tinkering with installing an OS
> and its applications.

On an non-wierd system, e.g. toshiba libretto and some other
pre-subnotebook-type of things, I've never really had a problem getting
Linux running on a laptop. This includes things that M$ variants couldn't
be made to work on.

I did have some probs with some refurbed compaqs, but that was because the
hardware comprising the mouse was borken.

I will admit that I haven't had any success with sound, but only really
tried once.

One does have to be careful about peripherals, e.g. PCMCIA and CardBus
stuff.

Check the utexas web site Kevin pointed out. That and the Linux Laptop
HOWTO.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Magic is science unexplained. - der.hans