[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers - kls

Tom Busha tom@concept-factory.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 12:25:14 -0700

In my few years experience as a plain clothes store-dick... Almost
every person we caught shoplifting was well able to pay for what they
tried to steal... well, except for the nun who tried to steal about
$500 in vitamins... her employer didn't even have to be notified;)
but stopping people was completely legal, as was detaining them, with
the use of handcuffs and force if necessary. But you had better be
sure it was necessary, because they can sue and win very easily if it
isn't.
also, store can file civil complaints against the shoplifters i do
believe... but i didn't have too much to do with what happened after
we busted them unless we were in court later...

my $.02

Tom B.