[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers - kls

David P. Schwartz davids@desertigloo.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 02:30:57 -0700

CIE-Keith wrote:

> This will never happen.  It is unconstitutional.  There is a due
> process requirement under the law.  I can not fine you for stealing

So what?  What's that got to do with anything?

I hate to tell you, but most folks don't realize that no government agency or agent can force any citizen to sign or acknowledge any
personal statement "under penalty of perjury".  (Ever been read your "Miranda rights"?)  That's what the Fifth Amendment says.  Now,
given that little tidbit of information, exactly how many people do you suppose would accept that and choose not to send in a duly sworn
tax return this year?  More people are afraid of the propaganda due to their ignorance than they are interested in standing on their
rights.

There is also a due process requirement that says that any "levy" issued by the IRS must be properly issued by a judge after a court
hearing.  How many people do you know who've received "Notice of Intent to Levy" from the IRS and subsequently had their bank accounts
and so-called wages garnished without a court hearing?  (Read about an interesting court decision in this regard at:
http://www.nite.org/docs/Boulder_Dam_Credit_Union-v-Williams.htm)

Do you know why the government and others get away with it?  Because people let them!

People (theives who are caught) pay fines to these places because they feel guilty and they feel threatened.  And they typically don't
know diddly about the law or their rights under the law.

In defense of the retailers, however, the reduction in losses due to theft far exceed the costs of paying some rent-a-cop to sit at
their door and make a pretense of inspecting packages.  It's primarily a psychological defense, and it's usually very cost-effective.
Oddly, since CompUSA got bought by a Mexican conglomerate, they've changed a bunch of their policies, including eliminating the
inspection guards from their exits.  It seems strange because, according to PC Week articles, they've shifted their focus to higher-end
products.  I haven't noticed boxes getting bigger, but I have noticed the stuff they sell has been getting smaller while their prices
have gone up...

-David Schwartz