[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers - kls

Brian Cluff brian@snaptek.com
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 14:22:34 -0700

> How does this "profit from fines work"?  Fines are set in court and go
> to that jurisdiction.  I know of no court that shares fines.  Arizona
> Revised Statuses do require restitution if that is what you are
> talking about, however there would be no profit in restitution.

I don't remember exactly how it works, but california has a similar law.  I
think that Tower Records would fine the people directly about $250 to $1000
and that it was somehow enforceable under some law.  Someone once told me
that it was a way for tower to gain back some of the money that the theif
cost them.  Basicly they assume that the person had successfully stolen from
tower in the past.  Usually that was true, and they just nail them for some
amount they guess they had stolen in the past.
    I dont know how much truth there as in that, I do know that we had
sevral parties that were throw out of the loss prevention budget from the
recouped money they got, so they were definatly getting it.  I wish I had
actually found out exactly what laws they were working under.

I do need to be more clear though...  The loss prevention dept. made money
over what it costs to employ them.  That is NOT adjusted to compensate for
the amout of items that go missing over the year...  It's just shows that
their undercover dudes that are in the store all the time are very
effective... thats it.

Brian Cluff