[OT] -- Fry's and other retailers - kls

CIE-Keith keith@christianexchange.org
Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:59:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: Brian Cluff <brian@snaptek.com>
To: <plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 12:01 AM
Subject: Re: [OT] -- Fry's and other retailers

> I've noticed that the mesa compUSA has not had a security dude at
the front
> door the lest few times that I have been in there.
> It's probably just as well, they were paying someone a lot of money
to put a
> pen mark on your reciept, but they were always either too old, too
fat or
> both to chase after someone if they were to walk by obviously
stealing
> something.

Security Guards are furniture with eyes.  They are not qualified for
the most part to perform an arrest.  It is the policy of most stores
to notify the police who are _sometimes_ qualified to make an arrest.

By the way security guards usually make minimum wage or a little more.

> I've heard rhumors that people have done just that, counting on the
fact
> that they could easly outrun the security guard.
>  Of course with CompUSA, Fry's and Tower Records (all places that I
have
> either worked or known people that work there).  It's not the slow
guys at
> the exit that you have have worry about, its the plin clothest guys
that are
> following you around, watching your every move, because you might
look like
> your the type to walk out with something.  I know the guys at tower
records
> actually made a profit in their security department from the fines
they got
> layed on the guys they caught.

How does this "profit from fines work"?  Fines are set in court and go
to that jurisdiction.  I know of no court that shares fines.  Arizona
Revised Statuses do require restitution if that is what you are
talking about, however there would be no profit in restitution.

> Anyway, I tend to feel more uncomfortable with people looking around
> corners and over the tops of magazines at me than I do quickly
showing
> someone my reciept on the way out.  I know at least at Costco they
they
> don't actually look at what you have and check everything.  They
scan the
> recipts for items over a sertain amount of money and they check to
see that
> you have or don't have them.

I don't think they have the right to actually search you, however they
do have the right to deny you access on the next trip.

I am a person who views his rights as eroding quickly, however I let
them check my stuff as I leave.  I hope they catch all who shoplift.
Shoplifters raise prices which we pay.

Keith Smith