hardware raid revisted

Kevin Buettner kev@primenet.com
Fri, 9 Feb 2001 12:17:33 -0700

On Feb 9, 12:01pm, Mike Starke wrote:

> I just purchased a adaptec 2100s raid controller which
> states it is linux compatible. I just configured
> the array (1) and now it's time to install debian.
>
> The kernel on the cd(debian) does not have the driver module
> on it (dpt_i20) and so I was wondering where I go from here.
>
> All the docs from the card have the installation instructions
> for redhat, but not linux in general.
>
> Can anyone offer some words of wisdom on this matter.

Install Red Hat.  :)

If you really, really want to install debian and can't find a way to
install it directly, do it via the indirect approach.  Put a spare
disk on the IDE controller and install Debian there first.  Once it's
installed, fiddle around with building new kernels, drivers, etc.
until you can get your running Debian system to recognize and use the
disk.  Once that is done, create some file systems on your RAID
device(s) and copy over your debian install from the IDE disk.
(You'll have to fiddle with /etc/fstab, /etc/lilo.conf, etc.  too.)
Once you're done, you should even be able to remove the IDE disk if
you want...

I did something similar to the above recently for a software RAID
setup.  It really wasn't that hard.  Let us know how it goes...

Kevin