not allowing to su

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:44:57 -0700

--------------D3B29D4065A511AD6822096E

Excuse my ignorance-- I meant to ask this one sooner.  But what is a "wheel" group, and why is RMS opposed?

Thanks,
Vaughn Treude

Armand wrote:

> plug@arcticmail.com wrote:
> >
> > RMS is TOTALLY opposed to the "wheel" system (for
> > political and philosophical reasons, not for technical
> > reasons), so I don't know if any Linux distro offers it.
> > Someone may have made a patch for Linux to enable
> > wheel-like functionality.
> >
> > Of course, you could just stick with *BSD!  :)

> > * On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 10:58:20AM -0700, Donald Martinez wrote:
> > > I know that in  freebsd you have to allow a user to be able to su to
> > > root. I just installed debian on a machine and want to be able to do the
> > > same thing.
> > > To allow a user to su you have to add them to the wheel group in freebsd
> > > if my memory serves me correctly, but I don't see anything like that
> > > here in debian.
> > >
> > > Can someone help, I only want one user to be able to su to root and
> > > nobody else , and I want to use linux :)
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Donald
>
> I think debian has sudo which you can configure so that only users
> listed in the /etc/sudo file can become su and they can be given a
> passwd other than root's passwd to do so.
>
> Or at least you should be able to find a deb package for it and apt-get
> it ?!  I've used it in Stampede.
>
> HTH,
>
> Armand
> --
> WFMU Jersey City , NJ   Free Form Radio
> All the amateurism of college radio
> without the basketball games.
> http://www.wfmu.org/ssaudionet.shtml

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------D3B29D4065A511AD6822096E

Excuse my ignorance-- I&nbsp;meant to ask this one sooner.&nbsp; But what
is a "wheel" group, and why is RMS opposed?
to su to
to do the
freebsd
that
and
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------D3B29D4065A511AD6822096E--