experience: Solaris vs. Linux

Dennis dennis@illusions.com
Sun, 4 Feb 2001 18:35:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Todd Hought wrote:

> Back on topic, personally, I would probably go for the Sun/UNIX cert.
> before I went for the redhat one.
> hope that helps!

I agree.

I've been interviewing recently since going out of the bandwidth business
made Linux support at Opnix superflous.

I keep getting asked the same question over and over in interviews. "Gee,
we don't use Linux at this company. Do you have any Solaris experience?"

Now, I've worked with Solaris in every job I've had (up to Opnix) since
Sun transitioned to Solaris from SunOS. My resume reflects this. Somehow
the interviewer sees the word Linux on my resume and can't seem to move
beyond it to any other experience I've had.

My recommendation: get Solaris experience. It is far more marketable than
Linux experience. I'm sure that goes for training and certifications as
well.

Not that I recommend running Solaris over Linux, but in the job market
that seems to be the preference.

--
---
Dennis Sacks