WANTED: Script Guru!!

Jason jkenner@mindspring.com
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 20:37:24 +0000

"Steven M. Klass" wrote:

> Hey all,
>
>          The company I work for has a need for a script guru.  This would
> be a contract position, that could possibly develop into a sys admin
> position some time in the future.  Basically we are an EDA company that
> designs and develops IC's.  The majority of the company uses windows
> (uh..  I know), however our new tools are designed for Linux / Solaris.  My
> CEO wants to shift to linux in the future, and is pretty excited about
> Linux in general.  Anyway, because of our split system (Windows / Linux)
> being proficient in the interaction of the two is a must!  We are looking
> for someone to make the interaction between the two even easier by writing
> some scripts that when a windows user telnet's into a linux / solaris box
> can type a command and the tools do their thing.  I have been thinking
> about the possibility of Apache interface so we can direct do it through a
> web interface, but a simple script would suffice.  I basically am doing the
> sys admin right now, but my plate is always stacked.  If the right person
> came in and shined, we could use you in a number of areas and a job might
> develop.  Pay is as always DOE.  If interested email me.

It strikes me that simply examining the enviroment variables the
client telnet passed to the login would be sufficient. From that
point, as I see it, the users .login could handle things, making the
requirement that a windows user to anything "unxilike" other than
start the telnet session at all unnecessary (that is, they wouldnt
need to type a command to get the tools to do their things, even!)

Additionally, there is the option of assigning various port numbers to
various tools, all accessible via telnet, although bypassing a
password entry means one would have to take care to restrict the port
to internal IPs only.

I am available on a consultant basis, I can implement what you ask for
easily. If your interested, call my and my girlfriends pager at
602-720-3483, and/or send a reply email.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|