Speaking of StarOffice...

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 31 Aug 2001 16:30:08 -0700

Matt Alexander wrote:

> Hi Mark,
> First off, and I could be wrong about this, but I don't think you can run StarOffice for multiple users.  I think that it's only a single-user application.  So, if that is indeed the case (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), then move the so_5_2_ga_bin_linux-en.bin to your home directory.  Next, make sure that the owner and permissions are correct on it (if the file was in /usr/local then you probably downloaded it as root and it's currently owned by root).  Type these commands:
>
> chown your_login_here so_5_2_ga_bin_linux-en.bin
> chmod 700 so_5_2_ga_bin_linux-en.bin
>
> So now the installation file should be owned by you and the "chmod 700" command will make it executable for you.  Next, you simply need to execute the installation file like this:
>
> ./so_5_2_ga_bin_linux-en.bin
>
> The "./" before the program means "run the program in the current directory".  The reason you use the ./ is because your home directory is most likely not in your $PATH.
> After you execute this, a GUI install program will start up and it will ask you a series of questions.  Once the program is installed, you run it by locating the "soffice" program (probably located in $HOME/office52/).  If you're using KDE, you can launch Konqueror, browse to where "soffice" is, and drag it onto your toolbar at the bottom of your screen.  Then you can just click the icon to launch StarOffice from then on.  The icon will be some boring default application icon, so feel free to right-click it and select "preferences" and click on the icon to change it.
> After StarOffice has been installed, you can delete the so_5_2_ga_bin_linux-en.bin file.
> Let me know if you have any futher questions.
> ~Matt

-----------
Star Office will install the program (at least the redhat versions) in
the /opt directory. This doesn't set up the program and yes, it is
indeed multi-user. It will install itself in /opt/office52 - you can
then set it up by running (as root)

/opt/office52/program/setup [/net]

use the /net option if anyone other than root is going to run the
program.

each user must then run - from Xwindows in terminal  /opt/office52/setup
to put the necessary files in their home directory.

Good luck

Craig