sklyarov

Jason plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:39:32 +0000

First I must state that I passionately oppose what has happened to
Sklyarov, in fact, it was news of his arrest that prompted me to
donate $100 to the EFF that same day... and at $7/hr working for
Checker Auto, thats a pretty decent chunk of cash. (Its a nice job
tho. I dont have to think, cars are extremely simple devices, plus
they dont crash three times a day. :)

(Where the hell is my hat and tshirt tho? Arghh. Probably next to my
DSL modem and microfilters?)

The reason the US claims to have this authority is because the
apparently the software was actually sold a few times, and the other
end of the transaction was on US soil. Or so I have been told.

Dont let a word of the above imply support for DCMA tho. Personally, I
think the DCMA, if enforced completely, could very well be the cause
of much bloodshed over the next 30 years. As a kid, the idea of
illegal circumvention devices seemed silly. Everyone had Copy 2 Plus
on their Apple 2E. But with the DCMA in effect, the bleak future
envisioned by William Gibson seems a little more realistic.

--
jkenner @ mindspring . com__
I Support Linux:           _> _  _ |_  _  _     _|