Qworst DSL - Liars!

Eric plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 18:36:55 -0800

"Communications law,"  huh?  you must be joking.  This is a matter of
criminal law.  Communications lawyers, if there is such a thing, would
specialize in the regualtion of the airwaves--i.e., FCC stuff.

Look, everyone agrees it is not a violation of ARIZONA law to tape a
conversation with only ONE person's consent.  The issue here is MONTANA law,
and ITS requirements.  The only issue here is how to get around the MT
requirement that ALL parties to a conversation consent.  Several suggestions
have been made.

Here is the statute for MT.  Read it for yourselves, and tell us all what is
legal.  The only answer is to tell the person straight up that you are
taping it.  You can't be coy.  The point of the statute is to have ALL
parties understand they are being taped; not to have them guess or infer.

Notice that 48-8-219 (c)i does not give an exception for any thing suggested
today; no defense depends on who called whom, and no defense depends on
whether one person is out of state.

45-8-213 Privacy in communications

(1) Except as provided in 696104, a person commits the offense of violating
privacy in communications if the person knowingly or purposely:
(a) with the purpose to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy, or
offend, communicates with a person by telephone or electronic mail and uses
obscene, lewd, or profane language, suggests a lewd or lascivious act, or
threatens to inflict injury or physical harm to the person or property of
the person. The use of obscene, lewd, or profane language or the making of a
threat or lewd or lascivious suggestions is prima facie evidence of an
intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy, or offend.
(b) uses a telephone or electronic mail to attempt to extort money or any
other thing of value from a person or to disturb by repeated telephone calls
or electronic mailings the peace, quiet, or right of privacy of a person at
the place where the telephone call or calls or electronic mailings are
received;
(c) records or causes to be recorded a conversation by use of a hidden
electronic or mechanical device that reproduces a human conversation without
the knowledge of all parties to the conversation. This subsection (1)(c)
does not apply to:
(i) elected or appointed public officials or employees when the
transcription or recording is done in the performance of official duty,;
(ii) to persons speaking at public meetings,; or to
(iii) persons given warning of the transcription or recording.
(d) by means of any machine, instrument, or contrivance or in any other
manner:
(i) reads or attempts to read a message or learn the contents of a message
while it is being sent over a telegraph line or by electronic mail;
(ii) learns or attempts to learn the contents of a message while it is in a
telegraph office or is being received at or sent from a telegraph office; or
(iii) uses, attempts to use, or communicates to others any information
obtained as provided in this subsection (1)(d);
(e) discloses the contents of a telegraphic message, electronic mail, or any
part of a telegraphic message or electronic mail addressed to another person
without the permission of the person, unless directed to do so by the lawful
order of a court; or
(f) opens or reads or causes to be read any sealed letter or electronic mail
not addressed to the person opening the letter or reading the electronic
mail without being authorized to do so by either the writer of the letter,
the sender of the electronic mail, or the person to whom it the letter or
electronic mail is addressed or, without the like authority, publishes any
of the contents of the letter or electronic mail knowing the letter or
electronic mail to have been unlawfully opened.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to an employer or a representative of an
employer who opens or reads, causes to be opened or read, or further
publishes an electronic mail or other message that either originates at or
is received by a computer or computer system that is owned, leased, or
operated by or for the employer.
(2)(3) Except as provided in 696104, a person commits the offense of
violating privacy in communications if the person purposely intercepts a
telephonic voice or data communication. This subsection does not apply to
elected or appointed public officials or employees when the interception is
done in the performance of official duty or to persons given warning of the
interception.
(3)(4) (a) A person convicted of the offense of violating privacy in
communications shall be fined not to exceed $500 or imprisoned in the county
jail for a term not to exceed 6 months, or both.
(b) On a second conviction of subsection (1)(a) or (1)(b), a person shall be
imprisoned in the county jail for a term not to exceed 1 year or be fined an
amount not to exceed $1,000, or both.
(c) On a third or subsequent conviction of subsection (1)(a) or (1)(b), a
person shall be imprisoned in the state prison for a term not to exceed 5
years or be fined an amount not to exceed $10,000, or both."
Section 9. Effective date. [This act] is effective July 1, 2001.

Approved March 19, 2001>

AND HERE IS 69-6-104

69-6-104 Search Term End . Control of telephone communications to and from a
person holding hostages -- nonliability of telephone company officials

A supervisory law enforcement official who has jurisdiction in a
geographical area where hostages are being held and who has probable cause
to believe that the holder of the hostages is committing a crime may order a
previously designated telephone security employee or other telephone company
official to arrange to cut, reroute, or divert telephone lines in order to
prevent the holder of the hostages from communicating with any person other
than a law enforcement officer or an individual authorized by a law
enforcement officer. The serving telephone company within the geographical
area of a law enforcement agency shall designate a telephone company
security employee or other telephone company official and an alternate to
provide all required assistance to law enforcement officials to carry out
the purposes of this section. A telephone security employee or other
telephone company official acting in good faith under an order given
pursuant to this section does not commit the offense of violating privacy in
communications and is not liable in any civil action brought as a result of
such good faith actions