problems burning other than .iso files HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thomas Mondoshawan Tate plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 27 Aug 2001 14:10:58 -0700

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 11:01:50AM -0700, Technomage wrote:
> I keep getting a problem and don't see any clear way around it
> other than sticking the cd-burner in a windows box (you don't want me=20
> to do this!!!).
>=20
> I keep getting the following whenever I try to burn a disk format
> that requires DAO (Disk At Once). I can burn track-at-once all day long=
=20
> with no problem, but I cannot burn any other way than this, which
> makes burning a VCD impossible.
>=20
> the following is the report that gcombust reports. it is the same type=20
> of report that cdrdao and xcdroast also report.
>=20
> usr/sbin/cdrecord: input/output error. select g1: scsi sndcommand:
> retryable error
> status: 0x0 [GOOD]
>=20
> then cdrecord spits out the following:
> warning! using default cdwrite parameter data
> cannot open new session
> fifo has 64 puts and 0 gets
> fifo was 0 times empty and 0 times full, min fill was 100%
>=20
> at this point, the machine simply spits out the disk without
> ever writing any data on it at all.
>=20
> I have tried for 3 days to solve this without successs. my=20
> only option is to remove the device from my machine and place it
> within the windows box and use NERO BURNING ROM (junk software at best).
>=20
> I would rather not have to do this!!!
>=20
> if someone can please help, I'd appreciate it
>=20
> Technomage Hawke

Here's an excerpt from the cdrecord man page:

       -dao   Set Disk At Once mode.  This currently  only  works
              with  MMC  drives  that  support non raw Session At
              Once mode.

My guess is that gcombust is using this switch. So what we need to know now
is, what brand/model CD-R are you using? Also, if it lists a sense code in
that error message, let's see it. Finally, did you check against the list
of supported CD-R drives on the cdrecord homepage to make sure that your
CD-R drive can do DAO with cdrecord?

--=20
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
phoenix@psy.ed.asu.edu