mix and match RAM

Craig n Judy Boone plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 Aug 2001 22:03:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Actually, does anybody know of a good article
> describing the different types
> of RAM and compatabilities? I found something on
> anandtech, but it was from
> 1997, so just ever so slightly out of date as far as
> RAM technologies go.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

I spent four years as the Technical Manager for a
memory company.  I used to have to live and breath
this stuff.  It's been a little while, but I know that
Micron's "Crucial" site, Kingston, and many of the
semiconductor sites (i.e. Samsung, Hyundai, Toshiba,
etc.) used to have great information...especially if
you want it down to the DRAM and PCB specifications.
You can also just do a wide area search with Google
and about 1/10th of what you get may be correct.
Anything sticking to standard SDRAM DIMM specs with
mhz ratings up to 166 should be good info.  However,
RDRAM seems to be somewhat of an enigma and the
information is kinda skewed.  I'd check the
manufacturer sites first.  It's actually a lot of fun
once you get into it.  I still have people asking me
questions, even though I'm writing for a living now.
People think memory is a no-brainer so they don't
learn anything about it.  Shame.  It's like eating a
burger without fries...you're missing a necessary
component.  Happy hunting.

Ciao,
C-