@home continued

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:24:43 -0700

"Jeffrey Pyne" <jpyne@worldatwork.org> wrote:

> [...]
> Have you ever seen NNTP scans from networks other than @Home's?  Or
rather,
> do you think they would ever think to do port scans from a network other
> than their own?  I'm guessing not, so I just have my firewall block
> everything with a source address of 24.0.0.0/8, and then allow in any
> specific addresses in that range that I want to have access to my
services.
> So far that's worked for the last 2.5 years or so....

That may have worked in the past, but from what I've seen, all access to
ports 80 and 25 is blocked coming into their network, not just to specific
hosts.  Port 80 to my system is definitely blocked, even though I definitely
had nothing running there. Same on a couple of others locally. If they just
shut it off at the edge(s) of their network, they don't have to bother with
scanning anymore. I'm not sure if this is a Cox or an @Home initiative.

- Bob