@home continued

Jeffrey Pyne plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:40:12 -0700

On Friday, August 24, 2001 David A. Sinck wrote:

> Well, in general, they say 'no servers', but they aren't necessarily
> enforcing all the servers you could be running.  They nominate SMTP,
> HTTP, NNTP, and DHCP (I believe) by name tho.

> http://www.cox.com/Service/CoxatHome/Subscriber%20Agreement.asp

So riddle me this:  They say in section 8(l) of the AUP "Thou shalt not run
a web server, ftp server, etc.," but then in section 19(b) they say "Thou
mayest use web, ftp and other server software to allow other users to access
information on your computer-- just don't come crying to us when something
bad happens to you as a result."  Am I misreading something, or is this
contradictory?

> You'll be in deep trouble if you run a DHCP server and it responds
> faster than theirs.  :-)

Heh.  :)

> FWIW, my firewall regularly detects a scan for NNTP by @home.

Have you ever seen NNTP scans from networks other than @Home's?  Or rather,
do you think they would ever think to do port scans from a network other
than their own?  I'm guessing not, so I just have my firewall block
everything with a source address of 24.0.0.0/8, and then allow in any
specific addresses in that range that I want to have access to my services.
So far that's worked for the last 2.5 years or so....

~Jeff